Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Executive Mentor Program


In my business class, I am participating in the Executive Mentor Program.  In this program, the class is randomly assigned to a successful, local business person to be our mentor for the entire school year.  The mentors volunteer their time to teach the students important aspects of business by visiting the mentors at work, going on field trips, and through conversation.  The mentors share information about their personal successes, failures, and life experiences.

My mentor, Darryl Glade, went to the University of Georgia for his undergraduate degree, then graduated first in his class from Loyola University in New Orleans.  In our first meeting, Darryl presented himself as confident, yet down to earth and easy to talk to.  Darryl now works for the company RE/MAX, where he started as a real estate agent and was opened up to many doors throughout the company.  One of his greatest accomplishments is the website www.OpenHouseReels.com.  On this website, professional videographers capture the images of the home, virtually creating an open house at all times.  This innovative website is the first of its kind in the area.

The best way to learn something is to get involved and participate in what you are interested in.  In this program, what you get out of it is what you put into it.  I am excited to learn all my mentor has to teach me and I am greatful that Loyola put this program together to give me the opportunity to have a mentor.  I will establish a personal relationship with Darryl and he will supply me with an endless amount of valuable information.

Through the program I will become a more prepared business person because of the insight given to me by my mentor.  I will learn straight from the source of success and have a better idea of what to expect in the world of business.  Knowledge and experience are things that can never be taken away from you.  Because of the Executive Mentor Program, by the end of the year, I will have learned and experienced many things that otherwise I would not have the  chance to.  The knowledge that I acquire will train me to make wise business decisions and teach me how to handle tough situations.